April 20, 2016

My First Kebaya

I have a client from Luzern, CH, she asked me to make kebaya for her. She got these gorgeous fabrics (I think it's a silk shantung embroidery - not an ordinary satin, I thought it was satin but it's more like silk shantung). I told her that I've never made any kebaya before, but I'll try .. she said okay. One thing I had in my mind: ask someone who've already done kebaya! and BANG! I got few names, one of them was a friend I knew briefly in Singapore who's now also take people's sewing orders at home. I was lucky she accepted to help.

Actually, she said: "you know how to make dresses, so basically it's the same" .. alright, but I was still puzzled and overwhelmed by the fabric and embroidery positions. I asked her once again, and she said: "open your fabric so I can see clearly" -- then, I took pictures of the fabrics and by a short text messages and pictures discussion, I thought okay, now I got it.  

I started by making sketches, showed them to my clients. She approved, and I could carry on to the next step: pattern making, cutting and assembling.

I didn't forget to take pictures for each steps I've done and completed. So my client (and my teacher) knew the status of the project :)

At 90% completed I showed my client the result of her kebayas and she was delighted. I guess mission accomplished. The rest is finishing (zipper for the orange one, and buttons for the green) then I could wrap them up to be sent back to Luzern.

client's orders - April 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment